Sacramento County Small Claims Court

Sacramento allows you to file your small claims court case online.

Sacramento County Small Claims Court

Sacramento County Small Claims Court

Small Claims Court Locations in Sacramento County

Carol Miller Justice Center

Sacramento County Small Claims Court cases are heard at the Carol Miller Justice Center which is located at:

301 Bicentennial Circle
Sacramento, CA 95826

The court is open from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  The phone number for the small claims court is 916-875-7514.  Sacramento County also offers a Small Claims Advisory Clinic which can be reached at 916-875-7846.  The call center hours are from 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.  The courthouse also contains a walk-in Small Claims Advisory Clinic as well as a Small Claims Mediation Office.  The small claims offices are located on the second floor.

Mediation in Sacramento Small Claims Court

Sacramento offers mediation on the day of your small claims court case, free of charge.  The mediation session takes place outside of the courtroom.  In order to utilize this service, both the plaintiff and defendant must agree.  No appointment is necessary on the day of your small claims court case.  However, you do need to call ahead of time if you want to use the mediation program prior to the day of your small claims court trial.

If you agree to mediation, both you and the opposing side will sign an agreement outlining what you have agreed to do.  That document will be filed with the court.  If mediation does not resolve your case, you will go back into court and a judicial will hear your case.

Sacramento County Temporary Judges

Sacramento County uses temporary judges to hear cases in small claims court.  A temporary judge is an attorney who has been licensed to practice law in California for a minimum of five years and who volunteers to hear cases.  If you do not want a temporary judge to hear your case, you need to let the clerk know and the case will be continued for another date.  Alternatively, if you know when you file your case that you do not want to use a temporary judge, let the clerk know so your trial can be scheduled on a date when a judge or commissioner is available.  This means it will likely take your case longer to be heard.

Leave a Comment